Given the cultural and economic development underway in Leskovac, several women (primarily the officials’ wives, from abroad) decided to found the Women’s Society and two years later the Women’s Workers School after the city was liberated from Turkish occupation.
Following a brief disruption during the Great War, the Women Workers School resumed its work on the 4th of June 1919 with the aid of some assistance from the municipality. Their studies were based on the national education curriculum: lectures on hygiene were held in the mornings and humanitarian exhibitions of women's handwork were organized, the proceeds
of which would go to the Home For War Orphans and the Association of the Disabled.
Soko Society in Leskovac
Leskovac’s Soko Society was renovated in the spring of 1922, thanks to the Zika D. Obrenovic bookstore one of the founders of the, “Dusan Silni,” (1896). The youth interested in joined the Society were those whose aim was to develop, “not only the physical, but also intellectual strength.” The primary mission of the organization was, “the physical, mental and moral education of the people.”
Leskovac’s Federal Shooting Club
Leskovac’s district and federal Shooting Club, “Sveti kralj Milutin,” (foundein 1899), started operating again in 1926. The Shooting Club had traditional customs that were respected and upheld up until the beginning of the Second World War. The Club was giving monetary donations for the “spomen-klinaca,” statue, usually associated with the consecrations of ﬂags.
The Hunting Association in Leskovac has a long and rich tradition which drew in citizens of all social classes and occupations. Founded in 1896, it resumed operation in 1919 following the conclusion of the Great War.
Voluntary Fire Brigade Association of the City of Leskovac
Leskovac got its first organized fire protection on the 10th of August 1930 when the Voluntary Fire Association was organized with 10 volunteer fire-fighters. The fire fighters, in addition to performing basic tasks, enriched the cultural and social life of the city.
Football in Leskovac
It is not known who brought football to Leskovac, but this dynamic and appealing game soon attracted the youth of the city. The first club, “Obilic,” was created in December 1919, after which other clubs such as “Moravac,” “Jugovic,” “Vardar,” and, “Gradjanski,” were established. It was only after the formation of, “Momcilo,” (1923) and, “Josif,” (1925), that football became more entrenched and more popular than ever. The sporting experiences became more fulfilling and the social life of the youth more meaningful, especially owing to the fact that cultural events were also organized within the clubs themselves.
Although it originated towards the end of the nineteenth century when the Bicycle Club, “Dusan Silni,” was formed in 1899, cycling had trouble finding its place after the war. Despite the fact that the, “Leskovacki glasnik,” newspaper reported in 1925 that Leskovac had 50 bicycles, the most serious attempt was made in August of 1936 when the Bicycle club, “Vihor,” was established.
The main Assembly of the aero club, “Nasa krila,” was held in April of 1925 at the initiative of Zika D. Obrenovic, a librarian from Leskovac.
The Assembly of the Serbian mountaineering and tourism society of Belgrade, of which Leskovac was a subsidiary, was held on the 23rd of August 1936.
For the younger generations of Leskovac, mostly those enrolled in high schools, the physical and recreational activities of organizations such as Stag Scouts, established in 1919, were becoming more and more popular. The organization had a mission to, “develop a habit among the young people to work and learn the art of crafts,” and nurture in them a love of music, painting in a natural setting, trips, travels, and a life spent in close contact with nature.” The ethical code of the members was friendliness, humility, veracity, and a complete abstinence from “tobacco and alcohol.”
Leskovac’s Horse Riders Club
At the initiative of Mihajlo Mike Maznica, a pharmacist, the first equestrian club called Leskovac’s Horse Riders Club, “Dubocica,” was established in 1933.
The Association Leskovac’s citizens in Belgrade
The Association of Leskovac’s citizens in Belgrade was founded in 1933 with the aim of helping the intellectual, physical, moral and social development of its members; to help maintain ties with their home city, foster cultural and historical values and raise initiatives to improve the economy of Leskovac.
Excerpt from the monograph
“The Golden Era Of Leskovac 1918-1941”